Bento Box Bits of everything

24Feb/1113

Fanatec Clubsport Pedal Brake Problems

After much forum-hunting for solutions, I finally fixed (for now) my CSP brake issue. This post is a compilation of solutions I've found across the web for this problem.

As much as I love my Fanatec clubsport pedals, it developed a nagging issue where the brake would get stuck. Games and driver software would register the brake as engaged when it wasn't.

It was basically showing this in GT5 after I would use the brake:

I installed the drivers on my computer and the driver software was showing the same thing: the brake would sometimes stay engaged after use

If you are having this issue, I recommend in order:
1. Clean out the gap on the pedal return plate:

2. Update the clubsport pedal firmware to see if adding deadzone will fix the issue. Check this link too

3. Disassemble the pedals and then:

4. Modify the foam that is found in the brake chamber

This was recommended by Fanatec Customer support; I imagine this is to prevent any edges from adding more friction within the chamber and keeping the brake engaged

5. Clean out the brake chamber/cylinder and apply fresh Dry Bicycle lube

6. Tighten all screws and nuts, including the ones that hold your load cell in place:

7. Put the pedals back together and try them out. Did this fix your brake problem?

8. If not, I think you need a new load cell. Contact Fanatec Customer support
.
Be prepared to wait awhile.

Other notes from my journey:

I did all the steps I noted above and what worked for me was a new load cell. I also modified the foam at the same time but I still think it was the faulty load cell. It's been working well so far but who knows for how long. Might be a good idea to buy additional ones to stock up on just in case. Although it's very lame to have to buy more product just to keep a $200 pedal set working. Fanatec should offer free load cell replacements for those who need them instead of trying to nickle and dime us for parts.

The inner screw here was a pain in the ass to unscrew, due to the lack of room to get a hex key in there and turn. Get ready for frustration

Before installing the load cell, I wanted to see if I could get rid of my brake issue using new firmware. I tried different CSP dead zone firmwares, even installing the 'd10' version, but it did not seem to work for me. I did not even notice any additional dead zone for the brake. I followed the instructions exactly, even using Windows XP 32-bit. I wish there was an easy way to see if the firmware installed correctly.

Tagged as: , 13 Comments
2Jan/110

Race seat painted

Day 5 of working on the race seat setup. Sanded, and now finally primed and painted. Ordered the carbon fiber vinyl off eBay so it'll be another couple of weeks till it's "done." Garry suggested I get some exhaust tips to add to the back of it... not so sure how ricey I want it yet.

Primed in gray and ready for paint; Garry's seat base in the back

Garry's pod and parts

1Jan/110

Race Day

Brought my 32" and PS3 over to Garry's for a race day. We were planning to have 3 wheels set up but we only really used two. We had a G25 cockpit and my Fanatec set up and the other two guys used HKS racing controllers. Really fun, except for the times the GT5 servers would drop us.

Afterwards I spent NYE at Sam and Karen's house. Fun dinner with a bunch of people. Played a game called Rumis, a 3D-tetris-like game that's similar to blokus.

28Dec/101

The project that won’t end

Race seat in progress night 4.
We're sanding down the edges of our seat bases to prep for primer and paint later this week. Still undecided on whether I should get some carbon fiber vinyl to stick on it.

Garry smearing doodoo. (Wood filler)